Friday, February 6, 2009

Acorns

"The strongest Oak of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It's the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun."
-Napoleon Hill

For sometime now, I have been taken by the Little Acorn. What a sweet package with the little nut and the fuzzy cap topping it off! It just shows you what nature is capable of doing so perfectly. Acorns come in many varieties!
Here in Colorado, I have not been able to find these sweet little pieces of art. I have a dear friend who went out and collected some and then mailed then to me! What a wonderful moment it was to open my box to find a bag that when opened had the smell of earth and wet wood coming from these little prizes!. I spread them out of a paper dowel overnight to let them dry. The next morning I arrived at my studio and set out to make the nut part of the acorn using wool roving.
Simple to do!
  • Start with a small bit of wool roving
  • Roll it into a log shape. Needle felt as you are rolling to secure the wool.
  • When the log shape is completed, needle felt the end and all around to form an egg shape for the nut.
  • Add a dab of glue to the interior of an acorn cap.
  • Insert the nut into the cap.
  • Place in a small bowl and enjoy!


Here is a Pincushion I made for a friend...

Notice the two tiny acorns nestled in the center!
Here are some other Acorn items I have...
Silver & Gold Earring my husband gave me for my birthday!
Wood carved Acorns that sit in a bowl next to the felted Acorns!
I love to research things and here is what I have found about Acorns- love the bit about preserving youthfulness!
  • The acorn is the youth of the mighty oak. It represents the pursuit and growth of wisdom, as from it grows the oak tree.
  • The acorn, like most seeds, also represents transition as in big things come from small. It also represents potential and strength.
  • The acorn was a sacred seed. It holds significance in Scandinavian and Celtic life for the symbols of fertility and immortality. For this reason Thor, ruler of fire and fertility held it scared as it was his Tree of Life.
  • Many Druids consumed acorns believing them to have prophetic qualities. When carried on your person, it can preserve youthfulness!
Tiny acorns & pine cones(next to a regular sized cone)
I found on the grounds at John C Campbell Folk School!




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...