Friday, June 3, 2011

Radishes

My newest class is Ruby Radish...and I thought what does a radish look like??...how would it make a nice head for a doll??

So I set out to find images of radishes...beautiful ruby red radishes...

In my search, I found this fabulous recipe for green beans with radishes. I made it the other day and changed it up a bit with grilling my green beans and instead of dressing used this wonderful Tuscan herb olive oil ...it was easy and really yummy! (Also like this olive oil as a dressing- by itself- for those of you with the yeast-vinegar sensitivities)


So...back to the doll...I needed ruby tipped fabric, so I dyed some nice wool felt using procion dyes.
 
I looked at the shape of the radish and had to think of it more three dimensionally. 

It took me a  few tries but finally got it! I had to have a seam down the front for needlsculpting and needed more roundness in the back, so added a gusset in the back to fill out the back of the head.

Here is the final...Ruby Radish- who ,by the way, is Pumpkin Girl's best friend!!
Pattern ready for sale Wednesday June 15th
email me to pre-order $10 + shipping.

Pumpkin Girl




12 comments:

  1. These ladies are too cute - what other veggies are you thinking of? Corn, Cabbage, Tomato? Can't wait to see more.

    Sewn Seabee
    http://sewn-seabees-crafty-and-vintage-musin.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of these are adorable! Love the shoes on both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Gals here at ROotie StudiO got so excited about these...that we decided to do a series of Veg-Head Dolls next year...and of course the patterns will be available.
    Emily Eggplant- Wanda Watermelon- who knows where this will go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! Both are awesome, you rock girl! ;-)
    http://www.utes-trolls.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these dolls! I can't wait to see the series.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  6. These dolls are SOOOOOO WONDERFUL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Leslie - Ruby Radish is fabulous!!!!! I have to have this pattern. She is adorable, especially her hand-dyed head and adorable legs & shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie-she is so cute, she made me smile! Well, since I have already made Pumpkin Girl, I will definitely have to make Radishes. You are just so funny, crack me up. Will you also be selling the dyed felt?
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, will be selling the hand-dyed felt and felt for hands as a kit! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your work Leslie!
    Joann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Darling Darling Darling... Radish Girl is out of this world wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leslie, These two are charming!

    Joyce

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...