Friday, March 27, 2009

The Owl & the Pussy Cat

Many years ago (ten to exact) I, at the last minute, decided to take a memory shadow box class.

I knew we were to use vintage or antique things in this memory shadow box. There was a store down the street from the quilt shop where the class was being held the next day. I ran down there and found scrap quilt pieces. As I rummaged through the bin I "discovered" this great zig- zagged piece and thought that it looked just like water...hummmm...water...boat....Since, I really didn't know what the class was about I decided to make a childhood memory of a story- The Owl & the Pussy Cat!

The sky was two very faded light blue pieces with the beige fabric already attached. As I started to put this together the beige pieces fell into place for an outlining of the sail! The sail was made from the back side of a scrap of upholstery. The boat was made from balsa wood and tinted with Pea-Green paint and then rubbed off to give it a weathered look. And of course we needed the Owl and Pussycat, cut from wool felt and stitched into place.
Old Mother of Pearl buttons, vintage lace and metal stars and a heart detailed my picture. Next , I needed the poem (rhyme). I embroidered it on an piece of vintage linen I had.
There it has been hanging for the last ten years. First, in my master bath and now at my studio. I still just love it!
And this all happened because I decided at 4:00 one afternoon to sign up for a class the next morning that I knew nothing about...it is a great life!

Many of my local students saw this and wanted to make it! I will be having a class coming in April and have made a pattern with this design for all. If you are interested in it just email me at lmolen@qwest.net
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...