Friday, September 27, 2019

Soul Sisters...Part One

ok...now it didn't start out like this...they started as Soul Dolls..and as they were created and gathered into a group they became...

SOUL SISTERS

This series was created with the intent to bring clean stylized lines into a more contemporary-styled piece adding in some soul.

It is all about the line and how it reads...I LOVE that I am at a place in my career that I can envision something and pretty much execute it.

In the beginning...

Almost always- it starts with a theme...I have a board at home that I call my Brain Dump. 
Quick notes are written or drawn there so that this receiving of an idea does not get lost...they can go as quickly as they come.

When my darling husband, Sean, is at home, I will run out to him verbalizing the whole chaotic concept and his statement is always- Quick! go put it on your Brain Dump Board!

An idea can come as a strong committed thought or one that is like a leaf on the wind...the more you try to chase it the further away it flies. So as soon as it hits, I go to my Brain Dump board and quickly write or draw it before *poof*.

You can see the beginnings of the Soul Sisters on the right side...more Sisters to come as the one on the right with collars....

There are times when I refine with a quick sketch when the piece is very clear in my mind. My sketches are very basic...for me if I get any more detailed then that drawing is the finale of the piece...and I wish to make them three dimensional...so the more basic the better...then they can develop on their own within the sewing time.


The body...

I started with an all muslin body...I knew I wanted these mounted on a base because of the kimono-style dress.


Transcending the fabric...

I LOVE to change the body fabric. These I wanted to have some "wear" to them...a patina....like life.
Damp and scattered with a loose tea (Mediterranean- because that's what I had and it is a great strong tea). 

End result is a mottled wash of color...

I was clear...
...and then as with any artist in that full-on creative place in their brain...I was (self-induced) interrupted.
I reverted back to the original Brain Dump image with no clothing just the Hat...so I as pictured here below is the original body that was dyed..then a revision with printed fabric and finally a change in the muslin to a vintage damask.

I went with the damask... and came back to my doll with the kimono dress.

Next armatured and stuffed the body. Needlesculpted the face.

Placed her on the base to see the flow...all working.

Additional patina...

I love to further my research by studying Asian/Eastern philosophy and love the paradoxical concept of the Yin and the Yang...opposite but still working together- in balance. Neither light nor dark - but in relationship.

And there she stood. I wanted that paradoxical understanding of her body to offset the clean-line of the kimono.
So back to my worktable and added more treatment to her body using alcohol inks.

She was there...I added tips of darkened color to her fingers and toes- only to be interpreted by you the viewer as to what that message brings.


Coloring of her face...

This was the final step in her coloring.
Painted eyes and lips. Added eyelids and embroidered eyebrows.
Colored using: Acrylic paints, chalks, and fine line marker.

Final thought...

and as I finish this weeks' posting...I  leave you with...

LO'L


Next Week:
Costuming!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...