Friday, September 17, 2021

Lotus - Part Five The Gown

Bring two worlds together:

As I sit here looking at this screen typing away, I find I am more in my head than actually at the computer.

I believe this IS the way of an artist...somewhere between this world...the visible...and the ethereal existence.

And so this is how the Lotus gown or skirt came into exitance also...gathered fabrics from this world and then brought together with the ethereal thoughts...design.
Image credit: Bahman Farzad

Fabrics:

Three fabrics are chosen for this part of the piece.
Black silk dupioni for the outside of the skirt as well as the pantaloons.

Green vintage kimono fabric for the lining of the skirt and the brown vintage kimono for the lining of the pantaloon leg openings.

WATCH HERE TO SEE THE FABRICS:




Creating the Unique:

I carefully chose the fabrics I work with. I believe all artist (eventually) find their soul/hearts connection in what medium they work in...and then within that define further into their chosen materials they are drawn to.

I find that silk is where I gravitate to...new and vintage.
I have been collected these pieces for years...each has a story!

Each has a certain feel..an essence to it that steps into my work. It is hard to describe but if you have seen my work in person, you can not only feel my presence, but I believe, the essence of the fabric's origin...its story.

Some highlights from my collections:

Eastern Indian Silks (metallic embroidery)
Vintage Kimono Silks
Chinese Silk Brocades


And then I have my collection of silk dupionis...as well as my collection of black silks.

In this case, I actually purchased this black silk dupioni, but as of last year 2020, I decided that I am going to use from my collections. Isn't that WHY I purchased it in the first place?

Not the right color? Then I will dye it or distress it!

As I did with the lining of the skirt. I had a glorious amount of green in it...but not exactly what I wanted. So I did a soft over dye of green.

 

Next came the pantaloons.
I wanted a lining to show that was a murky color...as this is where the Lotus grows up towards the sunlight.
After these where sewn together, I added a bit of hand-dyeing to create an interest so the fabric was not reading TOO murky. There are actually three dyeings in this- a brown, a  tan. and then the green.

In place, I will also had-dye her feet still leaving the Mehndi visible.

Special Note: these Mehndi designs on her hands and feet are all recognized as Lotus.
I gather the designs and then alter them in a photo program.
All are then aligned or stacked in a document to then be printed onto the fabric.

Close up of the skirt - if you watch the video it will give you a clue of how this was accomplished!

Final of the skirt/gown.


Next week the Lotus Leaves 

and the dying of the petals!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...