Monday, March 28, 2022

Full Moon Rabbit: The Head Part One

 Concept

It always starts with a concept doesn't it? 
Yes, as artists we have this beautiful idea that comes to us and then we need to interpret it for "the world"!

con·cept /ˈkänˌsept/

noun
  1. an abstract idea; a general notion. 
    something conceived in the mind.

I find that it first arrives in my mind as a vision of what could be, and yet, it can only be translated by the (my) heart...my soul.

So, as to not let it fly away, I quickly sketch out what "she" is to be!
And in this case, I did not do this...(and I believe you, dearest Readers, who are following along in this journey you -too- will find this very interesting!!)

(Initial) Color Palette

When the concept is still half way in the ether and half way tethered to this earth, I pull my palette of fabrics and color.
I thought about the Full Moon in all her luminescent glory and at this point, without question, went straight for those fabrics!
These above fabrics are all vintage pieces. Most of them are kimono silk brocades, as would be used in an obi because of the weight and thickness of each. The two gossamer silks in the upper right have some metal fibers within them and I feel are very filmy and lovely while holding a firmness to them!

Then the head starts my process of bringing her to "life".

This Artist's Choice Product: Her head is created using an air-dry clay- DAS. It is my favorite. I live (and have always lived) in dry desert climates, I find this clay retains a good water balance, so it can be workable for a nice period of time without getting too dry too fast. Also, in a dry climate, I have found that some air dry clays become too sloppy or mushy while trying to keep them moist enough to work with.

I choose my body fabrics. And at this time, a beautiful kimono liner silk stands out. There is a soft peachy color to it- just as when Full Moon is just beginning to rise or set.

As you know, I LOVE using these silk kimono fabrics. With this, there can be a strict size limit to using these glorious fabrics and that may be that there is just enough to create her!
Here is a video to see how I check and lay out my fabrics:

So now that I know that I will have the need to keep a mindful eye on the use of this fabric, I am set to go...
I have drafted and laid out my pattern, traced all pieces onto the liner and sandwiched the precious silk between the liner fabric.

To the sewing machine, and after careful sewing, I have a body with just enough fabric left to be used for the overlay on her head!

With careful planning, I kept a piece aside becuase of the weave or pattern within the fabric, I love that there is a flower at the center between the eyes (also known as third eye- the place of all knowing). Also the circular design that fits nicely around her nose!

Now the dyeing and painting process begin...
Her head is first painted with metallic water colors. 
This Artist's Choice Product:: I LOVE alcohol inks. I will tell you that there is absolutely no control with them. They go where they wish. I actually find this very exciting, I place the ink of the fabric and let it go. I love using at least two inks together to get a variation of color.

Then the "unruly" alcohol inks are applied. This is at best a conviction that everything will be fine becuase the alcohol inks are very runny and have a mind of their own. On a wee scrap of fabric, I did do a test. The weave and thickness of the fabric can be a determinant of where the ink flows. Since this is very sheer I wanted to see how the ink would travel along a thread weaving line. This is still a guesstimate, since now the shape of the head comes into play! 

Below is the final painting and embroidery (of the eyebrows). I  am thrilled that the metallic watercolor glows through so beautifully! Her eyes have been painted using acrylic paints and then several coats of a high varnish gloss is added!


Her ears are stabilized and sewn using the vintage peach kimono silk and a beautiful vintage metallic. 
I then decided to add dye to the tip of the inner and outer ear- which will be shown in later photos!

Full Moon Rabbit Head Complete!



Next week - Her Body and all that entails!







Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...