Friday, September 24, 2010

Love is the thread...

My journey to John C Campbell Folk School began when my dear friend Dee Dee picked me up at the Atlanta Airport...off we went through Atlanta making a few stops- IKEA, Sam Flax, and a few others. Their home is about 2 1/2 hours from Atlanta nestled in the mountain area outside Bryon City, NC. Dee and her husband, Robert own and operate Spiral Creek Art Retreat. I saw first hand how lovely and spacious their new building is.

Dee Dee and my road trip route

The next day Dee Dee took me to Asheville, were we did a bit of shopping and lunching. I have never been there and found it to be similar to Boulder, CO...with a feel of the south and of course those gorgeous trees and greenery. She took me to a fabric shop that I managed to find something to buy- Waechter's Silk Shop- yikes- they have the largest selection of original designer patterns...more to come on that later!

So my time ended with Dee Dee and Robert and off to the Folk School...

This is my second time there and I am still amazed at the spirit of art and community that thrives within the beautiful grounds and tin roof cabins. For me and my teaching it is time that my students and I can really dig into our doll making and yes...laugh and get silly a bunch too!

The Rock House where I stayed

Our time was precious because we where on a short week, so "my girls" got to it and created these beautiful dolls in four (long) days. They each sculpted the heads and hands from DAS clay , sewed and stuffed the bodies, painted the faces with a wax finish...
Bunnies at the "Beach"

We had time to discuss color theory and balance and look at the costumes they made...

It was wonderful...and I am so proud of how hard my girls worked. In all our concentrated efforts we still had time to have theme song and time to enjoy the surroundings of the Appalachian Mountains, the food, and most importantly each other!
Love is the thread that binds us...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...