Friday, August 3, 2012

Your Creative Path

 One of the advantages of being a member of NIADA is that we, as artist, have access to editor Barbara Campbell. I have known Barbara, well, I think pretty close to when I began this whole journey into dollmaking! She spurred me on to write an article for Doll Collector (formerly Contemporary Doll)...
Speak from the heart...

So, I sat pondering what to write about...technique...no...gallery pieces...no...What do I LOVE??? BINK....my students...teaching...BINK
The idea starting rolling around in my head....ok...so I have been doing this full time for 20 years...What can I tell you about that?? What lessons have I learned??? Lessons! How can I guide you in my lessons that I have learned??? And the idea came to fruition. HA! perfect word for this:

fru·i·tion  [froo-ish-uhn] noun


1.attainment of anything desired; realization; accomplishment: After years of hard work she finally brought her idea to full fruition.
2.enjoyment, as of something attained or realized.
So I quickly wrote on paper what where some of the Lessons I had trialed through in the course of my career as an artist. I can give you the list of Lessons (for now)...but for the deep info...the magazine* is where to find the rest!
*I believe Barnes & Noble carries it.

And my thoughts took me back to when I started...20 years ago, and yes, I did have a defining moment that brought me to dollmaking- more specifically after a great trauma... my dear husband, Mark, asked and I said I wanted to be an artist and work in fiber...

My hope is these lessons learned will help you in 
Finding Your Creative Path...

 Lesson 1: Know when to fold 'em.
Lesson 2: Just do it!
Lesson 3: Be brave but not too serious!
Lesson 4: Find your market.
Lesson 5: Jump in!
Lesson 6: Stay true and be Teflon.
Lesson 7: Keep learning and give yourself time.
Lesson 8: Step out of your comfort zone.
Lesson 9: Keep a fresh eye.
Lesson 10: Be grateful and walk in sunshine.

In the beginning...
My first doll I made as a "professional" doll artist
re-cycled wool with button eyes...vintage pearls!
 Here are some of the photos I submitted for this article: 
very first series of little wool rag dolls- 1992- remember this WAS 20 years ago!!
3 of my first doll patterns from 1992-ish
  
AND today after 20 years...some of my one-of-a-kind pieces.
Lotus from the Story Doll Series- held in a private collection
Close up of Lotus

Swan Lake from the StoryBook Series- all jointed- held in a private collection
Close up of Swan Lake- Crepe silk with hand-painted eyes
Snow- from the StoryBook Series- all jointed- held in a private collection
Snow close up- silk crepe hand painted eyes
photos:Leslie Molen, Robert Batey, Mark Mortensen
And this all brings us back to

fru·i·tion  [froo-ish-uhn] noun


1.attainment of anything desired; realization; accomplishment: After years of hard work she finally brought her idea to full fruition!!
2.enjoyment, as of something attained or realized.
...and I am still learning! 

 

Next week- 

Things I am doing for our

 Nephew's wedding in Taiwan.








2 comments:

  1. This is absolutely amazing, Leslie! To see your progression as a doll maker is so inspiring. Many of us stop creating a particular craft (I don't like that word - long story), and jump to another craft without every seeing the possibilities learning more about and perfecting one can take you to.

    Not to mention the gift you have for making your dolls come to life. Your most recent dolls appear to even have a soul.

    K - I'm ordering the magazine -

    Keep on keepin' on, Leslie. . .

    Shari :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic and inspirational!
    Your dolls have a quiet beauty Leslie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...