Monday, August 23, 2021

Lotus - Part Three The Face

 

It does all start with the eyes...or at least that is how I always start my face painting. I find this IS an intriguing part of creating our "own kind" the human form...the love, the soul, the voice...it is in creating the connection between art and soul.



Color

It starts with choosing the palette for her eyes..
Browns, greens, black, grey, and white..

These colors are all mixed into specialized colors...

A base coat of a mixed grey is where I start.
Starting with the shadows and moving towards the light.
And yes, I need my special glasses so I can see every little detail!

From there the eyes are done in seven layers to create depth and (hopefully) a window!
I think about each and every step -taking time and care...eyes can be tricky, and I have been known to take days painting them.



Eyebrows are embroidered on...and for now very subtle coloring  and defining is applied.
More color will come, but for now, it is a warming of her face to bring life to her.


She is ready to be whole!



In my work, I strive for "the feeling" of the piece much more than it to be perfect. We after all are far from perfect.

Side note- MANY years ago I took a sculpting class from a teacher and she told us to take our heads/faces and hold them up to a mirror to see the asymmetry or not being evenly symmetrical...you know what?? I turned my face back around to look at it and I loved it- just the way it was because aren't we all asymmetrical? We are not manufactured, we are created...and to this day, I have never created a "perfect" face! THAT, my dearest readers, to me is true beauty...wholeness.

Her legs have already been sewn on. Head is added next. I love to have my heads ball jointed to have freedom of movement. Lastly for the head, the skull cap is hand sewn into place.

Next are the arms...I button joint them. I do love a good button joint. I can direct the arms, therefore the hands to be laying in the right position for her.
Buttons...I do have a great selection of vintage buttons and I find it amazing how much "hunting" goes into finding the just right two!

And now we are present and ready for our Lotus Blossoms!
Missed a Post??
 

Next Time- the beginnings of the Costuming!









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...