Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Lotus - Part Two Fabrics and Papers

 Hello Dearest Readers!

Thank you for joining on this journey of discovery...of blossoming!

I believe that being an artist is an  expression of my soul's voice as well as an act of service. For me to bring a different perspective to my readers as well as my collectors.

I feel it is my "job"...better yet my whole hearted calling to go beyond making something beautiful visually...it is to have a deeper meaning...a story, if you will. That is why I write this blog. To hopefully bring a deeper understanding to you of my work and perhaps even of yourself!


If you remember in last weeks posting (LINK HERE to PART ONE), we talked about concept.

At that time I shared with you my quick hand sketch...


Today, we will match up fabrics and paper to this above "guide"...I find it is in the fabrics where to piece becomes to take form in this present moment and tell its story.

💗Special note! Below you have two choices! You can Watch this or you can go deeper and Read this!! OR you can do BOTH!!

WATCH HERE!! to see and "feel" the collection of fabrics and papers.



READ HERE!! for more insight into Lotus.

You must always have a foundation. Something that creates a great "backdrop" a great place for the viewers eye to start or to take rest. 

Let's take a look at the foundation fabrics...which for me in more cases than not are black silks...to me this is the "curtain" from which the story open.

Foundation: Skirt and Pants

Black Dupioni. So, in my collection of silks- vintage and new. I did not have what I felt was needed for the texture and feel of the leaves. So I purchased a crisp black dupioni. On the video you can see what I beautiful hand it has, and almost forms itself into the fanning of grooves and crevasses of the leaves. 

Vintage kimono wool/silk and hand embroidered silk.
This block-y black and cream, is just speaking to me...not sure why but it just needs to be a part of this piece, perhaps I just need to listen and go with it.
Lastly in this group is the silk with the embroidery. I pulled it out of my vintage kimono collection...at this point, I think it is too "perfect"...maybe too obvious. We will see.

Expanding on the Foundation

The Leaves...there is a limited choice in my Asian fabrics of greens...I do so love this fabric with the green leaves.
I also have plenty of dye to mix the colors that hold the flow or feeling of this piece! And I also have my stash of Indian silks.

The shibori is a definite within Lotus since it is a small piece is will show up as a hidden surprise!


Papers!

And the papers! These are both handmade. I started using papers here and there within my pieces years ago and now feel they have such a dominant place.

The paper on the left has a heavier or thicker hand to it. It will hold its shape nicely even after dyeing and distressing it! It so speaks to me of Lotus leaves- I think it is really the empty lotus pod but it much be used as the leaves.

The paper of the right has a very crisp hand to it- you will be able to hear that in the video. It is firm yet holds a bit of a transparency to to it which I think will make beautiful inner petals. I am excited to see if the dye will run along the lines in it.


Petals

Lotus really is all about the Petals...from the bud to the end with the pod...
And of course all that is in between.




And taking this to heart, I realize that it is in the petals that the story will be told...unfold.
So the fabric must be selected with an even more discerning eye.
I pulled from my warm selection of vintage kimono fabrics and found these soft pinks...
Although I already have the one that speaks to me so very loud and clear... but I also realize that as an artist, we must open to what the piece itself wants...

And so the creation begins...let it speak.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...