Saturday, September 9, 2017

The Raven: Part One

I have wanted to create a Raven for many many years..and finally my soul is at a place where I believe the true essence of what I held in my heart could be created.

Mind & Soul Process
After deciding on the piece I want to create, I do extensive research not only on the true subject, in this case the raven bird and it's characteristics, but also on the symbolism...

Facts
  • Ravens are considered the most intelligent birds, displaying high learning ability and use of logic for solving problems, in some tests bypassing the chimpanzees.
  • Raven's calls can express tenderness, happiness, surprise, emotion or rage. Ravens can imitate birds with the same vocal note.
Kovacs Anna Brigitta WATERCOLOR

Symbolism
Raven: Balance
Raven color change lore is when Noah sends a raven first to confirm the receding floodwaters. When the raven did not return, it was said its feathers turned black from sorrow - a heaviness in its heart to witness the floodwaters were still too high to accommodate the drifting ark.
Raven symbolism represents the shadow self, or the dark side of the psyche. By acknowledging this dark side, we can effectively communicate with both halves of ourselves. This offers liberating balance, and facilitates tremendous wisdom.
Artist unknown

My Notes on the Raven
This piece was created as my tribute to the Raven as my favorite Animal Totem. We are not just black or white we have various shades within each of us...it is a balance.

As we go through life we have many trials and successes…each of the feathers I used in this piece is a badge of a well earned honor in the growth of life.

Physical Process
Knowing that I want to create a piece with a Japanese influence, I started with choosing my fabrics- thoughtfully...each fabric needs to speak of this Raven...

I chose all silks...I wanted the kimono to have an airiness to it so the first one was loose linen weave silk for the kimono, then vintage kimono for all the linings, and of course a crepe silk for the body.

For her pants, I had one piece of coveted vintage silk with phoenix birds on it...perfect!
I so love using the vintage silks- they have an incredibly soulful feel to them as you work with them..you can tell that they have been well loved and used in a precious manner...

Now sculpting and sewing begins!! She will be jointed in head, elbows, and knees.

I decided to start the dying process on the fingers and toes...I wanted to express that she is turning from white to black...and added a bit around her collar line.

My next step is to paint and tint the face. I wanted a feathering effect around the eyes...something I have not done before!


face painting completed... 

In this process, I consciously chose to slow my self down, to be in each moment, giving myself time and space to take in where I was in this piece and was it expressing what was coming from my soul...

 Next week COSTUMING!


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...