Monday, April 18, 2022

Full Moon Rabbit: The Hat Part Four

Full Moon...the Hat.

Holding this sentiment closely, I thought so what could her “crowning glory” be to give shape to the roundness and fullness of the moon? What is the magic in the Full Moon?

Moon Magic...
It is in her glow. A welcoming softness, not as harsh as the sun...a reflection.

Research

As an artist, it my conviction to be inspired but not to replicate a specific culture. I cherish all the Asian cultures and believe in the great beauty they bring. So, as I research, I hold that temperance in my heart.

And I find the perfect solution…

Japanese:
An Uchikatsugi is a long veiled headdress once worn by noble women to protect their anonymity.

It was the shape that drew me to this hat and my goal was for the revealing of her face. To be surrounded by reflective glowing.

Fabrics

The fabric that spoke Orange Moon to me where these two!
The beauty of working with vintage fabrics is the quality...when artisans took their time to create even the different colors within the fabric. 

You can see here that the aqua and the white were actually "embroidered" onto the orange fabric. The finest of silk threads where used!

   front                                                      back

Below is the heavier metallic brocade for the interior "glow" of her hat!



Pattern Draft

As I set out to draft this pattern, I wanted a longer top area. Since I had just enough fabric to create this hat only one time, I needed to sew the hat design as a trial run using something else.

I usually turn to muslin or to paper towel. Being very excited about this and wanting quick results, I turned to paper towel.

The pattern is then laid out to see that all will fit!
This image is with the stabilizer that I used...

Each section is sewn by machine and turned.
Then all pieces are hand-sewn together.
I added a topstitching of aqua using silk thread at each intersection of joining..as well as a small covered button to finish it off!

Video

Here is a video of the Hat to see how it will seat on her head and how the glow from the interior fabric will work!

Missed Full Moon Rabbit: The Head Part One?
The Body Part Two?
The Costume Part Three?

Next week- the FULL REVEAL!!

As always, dearest Readers, thank you for following along on this journey!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...