Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Lotus: The Full Reveal!

Lotus. 
I have such interesting relationships with any Lotus piece I have created.

Each one has presented itself with what I thought a clear vision only to be disputed and pulled into the muck and the mud. I wade through this murky uncertainness to find my footing...to secure my roots.

The lotus flower blooms from a muddy pond as a beacon of life, hope and joy.

I love to bring to you two ways of viewing this piece: Video to Watch and Written to Read or Both!
WATCH HERE:
simply click on image!

READ HERE:
I find that I need to listen to my own connection to the Divine or more widely known as gut instinct...as I did in this case with the petals. 
Posting on this here: Petals- Time Out
Three sets of Petals were created as I moved through uncertainty into the unspoken knowing . These are the ones! Colorful, delicate with two sides but as one.


As we look back at my original sketch...
Most everything followed...except (those) petals! Which were to start on one side of the corset and flowing up and around the hat...


My message here was to have an Open Heart corset...this was very important that this was clear.
As the lotus plant emerges from the water, its petals open up. For this reason, these beautiful flowers are also symbols of having an open heart and receiving others with compassion.
I am always in awe how my pieces guide me. "I was determined" to have this Lotus be one of aged beauty...petals fading.
But she was having none of that...which she made loud and clear by having me create those sets of petals again, and again, and again! She was to be freshly emerged. Delicate but with new strength and the courage to be fully herself..


So the petals changed to be opening around her collar line to frame her open heart. At this point, the overall costume was complete and now for the crowning glory. Her hat and in that moment, it became crystal clear! 

The Lotus rises to meet the sun...and there it was the perfect sun silk with a pink flower (lotus) embroidered in the center! This was to be the interior.

This is a two piece hat that is stabilized and topstitched to represent to waves of sun rays.
All hand-sewn together and then a metal floss added at the joining seams.

And I think it is now time...for the Reveal of Open Heart Lotus!
Particulars:
Construction: Body: Hand-sculpted clay (jointed) head. Body Fabric- linen weave silk with printed Mehndi print on forehead, hands, and feet.
Costume- Silks of dupioni, vintage kimono liner and corset, vintage Indian with metal embroidery. Leaves and petals of hand-dyed Japanese Papers. Vintage stamens.

Size:  27.5 inches Wall mounted.
Please contact for pricing.

Full Images:

Close up details:

Face and Petals.

Interior of Sun Hat.

Side view- interior topstitching. Petals with stamens.

Back of head without hat. Braid binding and ribbons for Hat.


Close up of Heart Corset.
Special note: Corset is fully of vintage kimono fabrics with added peplums.
Lotus leaves are of paper that was hand-dyed, topstitched, and stabilized pleating.

Close up of hand with Mehndi print. Tip dyed fingers.
Special note: Mehndi print is gathered images, altered, images are then stacked and printed onto the silk.

Upward view.

Upward view of vertical gathered skirt. This was done to simulate waves of water.


Upward view of underskirt lining.

Feet, well rooted, arising from the nutrient treasure of  muck and the mud.


Lotus. Open Heart.



We are the shining ones rising...who make it possible for life to continue.

This unstoppable strength has always lived within us. Conditions coax it and welcome it now to give rise to itself.

These seeds, these visions are for all of us. They are what living existence is honestly made of.

source: virginiarosenberg.com

Missed a Post? 
Continue your Studies here:

Thank you Dear Readers for 
joining me on this journey!
Leslie








 

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...